Search this site:

Guide to Federal Government Sales Department of Energy

Guide to Federal Government Sales - Department of Energy

Back to the Table of Contents

Image of the Department of Enegery's LogoDepartment of Energy

What is sold

Office equipment, vehicles, furniture, trailers, generators, instruments and laboratory equipment, mechanical power transmission equipment, and heavy equipment are some of the items sold by the Department of Energy (DOE). The personal property items for sale will vary with the sale location. Most of DOE's real property is sold by the U.S. General Services Administration .

How items are sold

Sealed bids, auctions, negotiated sales, fixed price, and spot bids.

Internet sales are available at several DOE sites.

How sales are advertised

Sales are advertised in Federal Government buildings, national and local newspapers, and through radio and television announcements.

For DOE Personal Property Asset Sales information at various DOE sites, consult the DOE Property Management Information website at

The DOE Headquarters in Washington, DC does not maintain a mailing list to notify prospective buyers of upcoming sales. However, some local DOE offices may maintain localized lists.

Special restrictions/conditions

Guaranteed forms of payment, such as cashier' checks, certified checks, money orders, or cash are required. For information on additional restrictions and conditions, consult the advertised public sale announcement for a phone number to call for further sales information. For personal property sales, DOE prohibits participation by Federal and contractor employees who were directly or indirectly involved in the determination to dispose of the property for sale or participated in the preparation or presentation of the sale. Other DOE employees are allowed to participate.

For more information

Consult the DOE Property Management Information website at and click on the DOE Personal Property Management Personnel Directory for information on your local DOE field office.

Additionally, you may contact your local DOE Office of Property Management, found in the "U. S. Government" listings of the phone directories of the major cities of your state.

Back to the Table of Contents

Search this site:

Get the Savvy Consumer Newsletter! (FREE)